DEPARTMENT OF JOURNALISM & MEDIA STUDIES
Mass communication (or communications) can be defined as the process of creating, sending, receiving, and analyzing messages to large audiences via verbal and written media. It is an expansive field that considers not only how and why a message is created, but also the medium through which it is sent.
Media plays an important role in society as agent of change, governance, development,communication and transformation. It is a public informer. Journalism skills provides knowledge and experience in the profession of journalism with emphasis on excellent writing, original reporting, and innovative use of digital tools for storytelling. The media studies concentration emphasizes critical, cultural, historical, legal, ethical and social scientific analysis of media and society while also providing experience in media production.
The programme aims to equip the learner with fundamentals o journalism,foundational, and practical knowledge, and skills of communication in its widest meaning in mediated, group, interpersonal, mass, and intercultural forms.The specific objectives of the programme are to:
- Provide students with technical knowledge and skills in various areas including communication, journalism and media.
- Provide an education that prepares students for a wide scope of career opportunities.
- Develop competent graduates with the right skills and knowledge to perform in contemporary complex and volatile global communication, journalism and media environments.
- To enhance understanding of the theory and practice of communication
- To train journalists and other communication specialists
- To promote strategic communication analysis in support business and societal objectives
- To strengthen intellectual stimulation for further studies in communication
- To promote research and consultancy in communication and media related fields
- To promote training in the complete range of current communications tools and how to use them in an integrated, strategic way
- To promote professional ethics in communication specialists and media practitioners
SCHOOL OF JOURNALISM AND MEDIA STUDIES
- Journalism and Media Studies (Broadcasting)
- Journalism (Print Media)
- Journalism (TV & Radio Production)
- Journalism (Film & Video Production)
- Communication and Public Relations
- Journalism (Photography )
- Digital Journalism
- Media Law and Ethics
- Graphic Design
- Website Design
AIRADS College is a Centre of Excellence Where Quality is Nurtured.
a) Candidates must have a minimum of grade D plain for certificate and C- for Diploma
b) Subject to regulation (a) above, eligible candidates for the Certificate and Diploma of Arts in Media Studies shall be:
- Holders of KCSE with a mean grade of Dplain and C- (minus) for certificate and diploma studies respectively .
Min Qualifications Diploma KCSE- C- (Minus), Certificate D (Plain), Artisan KCPE and KCSE D – Minus & below. To Apply Online Visit our Website www.airads.ac.ke
Find Your Preferred Courses
Courses Offered in this departments at AIRADS College includes:
- Certificate in Journalism
- Certificate in Mass Media and Communication
- Diploma in Journalism
- Diploma in Mass Media and Communication
- Leadership and Diplomacy
- Lobying and Advocacy
- Cert in Video editing
- Cert in Photo Journalism
- Cert in Photography