Special needs in Education is a course that seek to breach the gap in education sector. The Disability Act(2003 and Children’s Act(200) in Kenya was a milestone to children and adults with special needs. The latest support in the Government’s endeavor to provide quality education was the launch of the National Special Needs Education Policy framework. Trainees who undertake this program are expected to be leaders in the global desire to drive special and inclusive education.AIRADS college has recently adopted training on this matter.
Diploma in Special Needs Education (SNE) examination is a two-year course taken by teachers who wish to specialize in Special Needs Education after they complete the teacher training course at various levels. The Programme enables you to acquire solid theoretical and practical skills especially designed to meet the unique needs of children with Disabilities. The strength of the programme is that it links academic teaching with the learning of practical skills.
The diploma in special education programme is intended to:
a) Equip trainees with relevant knowledge, skills and attitudes for teaching and managing special education programs.
b) Prepare personnel capable of advocating for and implementing the inclusion of individuals with special needs and other disabilities within their communities.
c) Prepare students for Bachelor in Special Needs Education.
d) Prepare learners on the emerging trends in special needs and physically challenged children.
PROGRAMME LEARNING OUTCOMES
By the end of the programme, students should be able to:
a) Have acquired basic knowledge, skills and attitudes in teaching in special education programmes.
b) Have acquired basic knowledge, skills and attitudes in and managing special education programmes
c) Work effectively in programmes that support learners with special needs.
D)be able to develop competency in a range of teaching skills to suit the needs of the children being taught; and
E)be able to plan and evaluate individualised intervention programmes for their own area of disability specialisation.
- Primary Teacher Education – Pl Teacher Certificate by Training; or
- P1 teacher who has been promoted by Ministry of Education through teacher Proficiency Courses;
- KCSE mean grade of D+ or KCE Division 3 and in addition have a KNEC certificate in ECDE or Ministry of Education DICECE Certificate.
- Candidates wishing to take SNE Part One (1) examination for the first time must have undertaken two terms of either residential or in-service training in an institution approved by the KNEC.
- Those wishing to take SNE Part Two (2) examination must have done Part one and covered three terms of either residential or in-service training in addition to fulfilling the requirements for teaching practice.
- KCSE mean grade of C(plain)
To be admitted to the diploma in special and inclusive education program, applicants must satisfy the minimum admission of AIRADS College and Ministry of Education as illustrated above.
DURATION OF THE PROGRAM
The duration of the program shall be 2 years for full time students and and years for school based.
The program shall consist of course work and examinations including teaching practice. The course will be offered in units where a unit is defined as 3 hours lecture per week per term. All units will be categorized as CORE unless specified. Students will be required to take all units prescribed for the program.
The course is examined by Kenya National Examination Council (KNEC).
Diploma in Special Needs Education SNE – course content
- Special Needs Education
- Child Development
- Planning and organizing instruction in the Inclusive Classroom
- Working with Speech and Language
- Specific Learning Disabilities (Reading, Writing and Number Difficulties)
- Physical & Health Impairments
- Autism Spectrum of Disorders & Behaviour Disorders
- Visual & Hearing Impairment
- Intellectual Impairment
SEPTEMBER INTAKE IN PROGRESS
JOIN US NOW
AIRADS College is the best college in Kenya. The Cs for Education, announced the phase reopening of TVETs in Kenya. We wish to inform all the applicants that online registration portal is now open.
Welcome to AIRADS College a national TVET technical training college. We are the best college registered and licensed by TVETA. AIRADS College is a Centre of Excellence where Quality is nurtured. We focus on Technical vocational Education and training TVET.
- NAKURU CAMPUS
- ELDORET TOWN CAMPUS
- KISUMU CITY CAMPUS
- KERICHO TOWN CAMPUS
- BUNGOMA TOWN CAMPUS
- LODWAR CAMPUS