The broad aim of this programme is to provide the learner with basic skills and knowledge in library and information studies that will help in efficient collection management and dissemination of information, while ensuring that the information needs of users are satisfied.
Diploma in Information Studies(KNEC) is design to tackle issues related to dissemination of information and record keeping.
This is an entry level program that is designed to introduce the student to Library management while equipping the student with library and information studies skills that can be applied in the business world at an entry level.
Key Interest Skills required to pursue a career in this field
- Planning skills
- Communication skills
- Numerical abilities
- Organisational skills
- Analytical skills
- Team spirit
- Negotiation skills
- Digital literacy
- Problem-solving skills
- Time Management Skills
- Integrity as a quality
Objective of this program is to prepare students to think critically and invent industry -based approaches to library skills. Students get to understand the library techniques and market expectations. In addition,they learn how to communicate effectively.
Why study this program
This program prepares one to job market at lower level.It also a bridge to the advance level in the field.
- Possible career opportunity: The graduates from the course can be employed as: Librarians, File managers, Museum officers and Bank filers, Librarian, Document control specialist, Library technician, Digital librarian, researcher, research librarian, Medical librarian, Library administrator, library director, and Law librarian.
After successful completion of Diploma in Information studies and library science(KNEC) ,a student can proceed for bachelor’s degree,master’s degree and Phd in related field.
This course takes an average of 6 terms (2 years ).
Mode of Study
- Regular/full time
- School based programme
- Distance Learning
- Weekend Classes
- Part-time/Evening classes
- KCSE aggregate Grade of C- (minus) & Above,or any equivalent qualifications by KNEC
The following requirements must be met for a student to qualify for KNEC exams in this course:
- Must sit for at least 2 cats marked out of 30% ,and an end term exams marked out of 70% each term.
- The candidate will be expected to proceed for industrial attachment as a requirement by KNEC for successful completion of the course.
- A student must attend at least 80% of all the tutorial lectures.
2813– DIPLOMA IN INFORMATION STUDIES
302-CONSERVATION & RESTORATION OF INFORMATION MATERIALS
303-ORGANISATION & RETRIEVAL OF INFORMATION
304-MANAGEMENT OF LIBRARIES, ARCHIVES & OTHER INFORMATION CENTRES
305-DISSEMINATION OF INFORMATION
307-COURSE SPECIALISATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROJECTS
- Communication Skills
Email us at:Admissions Office.